I am probably one of the few people who enjoys soup during the heat of summer, but I love healthy soups! Don’t let the look of it fool you, this is a yummy soup! Add different spices to make an Asian or Italian inspired soup.
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup of thinly chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup of thinly chopped celery
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 pound of lentils, rinsed
- 1 can of tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups of low sodium chicken broth
- 6 cups of water
- 2 teaspoons of low sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- Pour olive oil into big pot and heat over medium heat.
- Once oil is hot, add onions, garlic, carrots, and celery.
- Cook until translucent, about 7-9 minutes.
- Once cooked, add in the rinsed lentils, broth, water, Worcestershire sauce, cumin, pepper and tomatoes.
- Increase the heat until just about to boil, and then reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 35-40 minutes.
- Cook until lentils and vegetables are tender.
This recipe was adapted from The Food Network. Makes 6 servings, with only 149 calories per serving!